Archive for July, 2019

Under-siege England may be split by factions, says Pietersen

13/07/2019

England are imploding after the latest in a series of alcohol-related incidents but Kevin Pietersen has climbed into the tourists for other failings, accusing Alastair Cook of looking uninterested, batsmen of making out that the Australian attack “is the scariest bowling they’ve ever faced” and suggesting there may be a factional split in Joe Root’s touring party.
Nanjing Night Net

At 2-0 down in the Ashes series and with England Lions squad member Ben Duckett having caused a new wave of controversy by throwing a beer over the head of James Anderson in a Perth bar, England are in proper eat-their-own mode.

Pietersen is at the front of the queue. He says the surprise decision by captain Root to bowl first after winning the toss in Adelaide may not have had the support of all his players.

“I have heard there are rumours that a couple of people didn’t want to bowl first in Adelaide. If a couple of people didn’t want to bowl and Root’s made that decision and they’ve lost, yeah there are certain factions that can happen in dressing rooms when that happens,” said Pietersen, who on the weekend labelled the Duckett episode a “f****** embarrassment” on Twitter.

“We’ll just have to wait and see. I think Perth is going to be a fascinating Test match – to see if the wheels are going to come off or not.” What the hell is happening in English Cricket?!?! Strauss????? It’s becoming a f*****g embarrassment! https://t.co/IF1nz84lo8??? KP (@KP24) December 9, 2017This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on Under-siege England may be split by factions, says Pietersen

Why batting records are tumbling in the WBBL

13/07/2019

Cricket superstar Meg Lanning says conditions, tactics and the professionalisation of women’s cricket are leading to record breaking scores on the opening weekend of the WBBL.
Nanjing Night Net

The Sydney Sixers, who scored 242, set a record on Saturday for the highest score in a BBL or WBBL match.

The Sydney Thunder also set a previously unmatched WBBL team total of 200 on Saturday, while the Melbourne Renegades (189) and the Perth Scorchers (188) – who were missing Lanning through injury – posted the fourth and fifth highest WBBL totals respectively.

The Adelaide Strikers’ 183 against the Hobart Hurricanes in South Australia on Saturday was the sixth highest score in the competition’s history. Their 176 against the same team on Sunday was the seventh highest score.

The Sixers’ total included the highest and quickest ever WBBL century, a brutal 114 off 52 balls smashed by Ashleigh Gardner. Susie Bates made 102 off 65 balls for the Hurricanes on Sunday.

Before Bates and Gardner smashed centuries on consecutive days only two centuries had been made in two whole seasons of the WBBL.

The previous highest team score of the competition was Brisbane Heat’s 190 in 2015.

Lanning, who said she was frustrated having to watch others make runs on the pristine North Sydney Oval deck, believed the trend toward high scores would continue through the season.

“We have got a great ground to play at, the wicket has been really good,” Lanning said. “I think the other thing is more batters are able to utilise only having four fielders out, so I think in the first couple of WBBLs you could have your cover fielder up a lot more and you’d probably get away with it.

“Now a lot of players can hit both sides of the wicket and once play gets going I think it’s pretty impossible to stop so hopefully the scores continue throughout the WBBL and it’ll be an exciting tournament that’s for sure.”

The ropes at North Sydney Oval were only very slightly in from the men’s rope outline which was still visible. The outfield was quick too, however given how hard many of the batters were striking the ball it would be hard to argue that it was too much of an aid.

With Australian contracted players being paid more, NSW contracted players taking home full-time wages and players who play WBBL and domestic one-day cricket getting close to, if not, a full-time wage, Lanning said Cricket Australia’s investment in the women’s game was reaping rewards.

“No doubt, I think that [the professionalisation of women’s cricket] makes a massive difference,” she said. “Not only training more for skills but you’ve also got your strength and your fitness ability as well that’s able to go along with that so we’ve had a good week and a half together as a team which helps so I think we will only see that continue to grow.

“It’s a combination of all those things and I think teams are going harder early, we’re not waiting for the last five overs to start taking on the bowlers so obviously that gives you a better chance to get a higher score so look, 242 last night, that’s just a bit ridiculous really, but it was a great spectacle to watch.”

Sixers and Australia star Ellyse Perry, who smashed 91 off 49 deliveries against the Melbourne Stars on Saturday, agreed with Lanning.

“We are another year into the development of women’s cricket,” Perry said. “Most of the women have been full-time elite cricketers for the past 12 months so that’s always going to lead to development.

“The girls are fitter, they’re stronger and have more time to work on their technique and get to know their game so it’s probably not surprising.”

Meanwhile, the boy in the crowd who was hit in the head by a Perry six during her stunning innings is OK. Perry rushed off the pitch after hitting the ball to check if the boy was well.

He did not spend the night in hospital and is at home under the supervision of his parents. Perry phoned the boy on Sunday morning to check in after she gave him her hat during the innings break on Saturday.

Other big, quick-fire scores from the weekend’s games included Natalie Sciver (84 runs off 46 balls), Delissa Kimmince (87 off 54), Jess Duffin (81 off 47) and Nicola Carey (47 off 17).

The match at North Sydney Oval attracted 3914 fans for Saturday’s WBBL double-header. 4812 turned up for Sunday’s double-header at the same venue. A lot of those fans were families, with many young children in attendance across the weekend.

The Sydney Sixers vs Melbourne Stars match on the Saturday was the most watched regular-season WBBL match in the competition’s history, attracting an average national audience of 422,500 viewers with a peak of 629,000, a 59 per cent increase on last season’s WBBL average ratings.

The other match televised on Saturday, Sydney Thunder vs the Melbourne Renegades, attracted an average national audience of 278,500 peaking at 426,000.

The first day average audience of 350,000 was a 46 per cent increase on last season.

Sixers wicketkeeper-opening batter Alyssa Healy lauded the success of the opening WBBL weekend.

“It’s amazing to see just how far this competition has come and what it’s done for cricket in general and women’s cricket more specifically,” she said. “I think it’s been exciting to be a part of and hopefully it just keeps growing the game and we see more people coming.”

Lanning also revealed she was aiming to return to cricket in early 2018, after the WBBL finishes on February 4.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on Why batting records are tumbling in the WBBL

Australian troops to stay in Iraq despite victory over ISIS

13/07/2019

Australia will maintain a military presence in Iraq well into 2018 as local security forces continue their fight against Islamic State insurgents who have escaped capture.
Nanjing Night Net

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared victory over the extremist group at the weekend, three years after IS first stormed the country and seized a third of its territory.

The declaration came after Iraqi forces recaptured the last areas still under IS control along the border with Syria. But while the territorial battle is over, coalition security forces now expect the group’s remnants to engage in a new phase of deadly guerilla warfare.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull congratulated the people of Iraq and their security forces for their “courage and determination”.

“The liberation of Iraqi cities and towns from ISIS control has saved countless lives and ended a pattern of terror, anguish and murder,” Mr Turnbull said.

“Their bravery in the face of unimaginable brutality has made the region and the world a safer place by robbing terrorists of their narrative of invincibility.”

Australia has made a significant contribution to the fight, deploying hundreds of troops who have been focused primarily on training local troops and police. The Australian Defence Force has also contributed to air strikes against IS targets in Iraq and neighbouring Syria.

Australia’s sixth rotation of about 300 troops – along with 100 New Zealand troops – deployed to Iraq in recent weeks and are scheduled to remain there until the middle of 2018.

There are no plans to cut short Task Group Taji 6’s deployment but Australia will now enter talks with Iraq and coalition partners about the road ahead.

“While today’s announcement by the Iraqi government is an historic moment, Iraq’s liberation does not mean the fight against terrorism and ISIS in Iraq is over,” Mr Turnbull said.

“ISIS fighters who escaped capture will seek to conduct an insurgency to continue their legacy of death and destruction. The biggest challenge is to bring security, peace and unity to all Iraqis through inclusive, representative democracy and political equality.”

Mosul, Islamic State’s de facto capital in Iraq, fell in July after a gruelling nine-month campaign backed by a US-led coalition that saw much of the northern Iraqi city destroyed. Islamic State’s Syrian capital Raqqa also fell to a US-backed Kurdish-led coalition in September.

The group was then squeezed into an ever-shrinking pocket of the desert along the border.

Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi released an audio recording on September 28 that indicated he was alive, after several reports he had been killed.

His followers imposed a reign of terrorism on the populations they controlled, alienating even many of those Sunni Muslims who had originally supported the group. They took thousands of women from the Yazidi minority as sex slaves and killed the men.

The war has had a devastating impact on the areas previously controlled by the militants, with more than 3 million people still displaced, according to the United Nations.

Iraq’s announcement comes two days after the Russian military announced the defeat of the militants in neighbouring Syria, where Moscow is backing Syrian government forces.

With Reuters

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on Australian troops to stay in Iraq despite victory over ISIS

Owner sought for World War I medals found in box in street

13/07/2019

Police are hoping the owners of a set of World War I medals can be found so they can be reunited with the prized collection.
Nanjing Night Net

A man from Seven Hills saw a brown wooden box on the road at the intersection of Caroline Chisholm Drive and Langdon Road at Winston Hills in Sydney’s west about 1pm on Saturday.

He handed the box to police from the Quakers Hill Local Area Command.

Inside the box were original World War I medals in good condition, police said.

“While the recipient of these medals may have passed away, we believe there are family members out there who would really appreciate having them returned home,” Duty Officer Chief Inspector Garry Sims said.

“They would be of high sentimental value to the family of the soldier who fought and served his country valiantly to earn these medals.”

Among the collection is the 1914-15 Star, which was awarded to those who served against the Central European Powers in any theatre of the Great War, including the Gallipoli campaign.

Also in the collection is a British War Medal, awarded to officers and men of British and Imperial forces who served during World War I, as well as the Victory Medal, awarded to those who entered a theatre of war during the Great War.

The box also contains a Silver War Badge, given to service personnel who were honourably discharged due to wounds or sickness.

There is also a Returned Sailor’s & Soldier’s Imperial League of Australia Badge.

Police will liaise with the NSW RSL sub-branch in an attempt to locate the owners.

Anyone with information about the medals is urged to contact Riverstone police station or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on Owner sought for World War I medals found in box in street

Sydney is a city fatigued by record development

13/07/2019

building Perth 061025 AFR pic by Erin Jonasson. the construction boom in Perth. a New housing estate in the southern suburbs of Perth, Roof plumbers, residential property, trades, tradesman, building of new homes, house. skilled labour shortage in WA, generic hold for files, first use AFR please. SPECIALX 00057683The NSW government is on track to double the supply of homes achieved through the rezoning of state land, but the community is now fatigued at the frenetic pace of development, a senior Planning Department official has acknowledged.
Nanjing Night Net

NSW continued its streak of record housing approvals for the 45th consecutive month, as ABS data showed about 69,700 dwellings were approved in the year to October.

But Planning Department deputy secretary Brendan Nelson said a new challenge had emerged in allaying community concerns that Sydney had reached capacity.

“The community are feeling the pressure. They’re feeling the fatigue of a city that is going through a fundamental transformation,” Mr Nelson said in a recent address to a property industry function.

“Collectively we need to be thinking about how we take the community with us on this journey.”

His comments reflect a growing awareness within government of wilting community support for more development, after a recent Fairfax ReachTell poll found an astonishing two-thirds of NSW residents believed Sydney was “full”.

Mr Nelson also attributed the current backlog in Sydney’s housing supply to a declaration by former Labor premier Bob Carr in 2000 that Sydney was full.

The comments, he said, led to an “almost grinding halt” in supply as housing completions plummeted to their lowest in more than 60 years.

“What we saw after that announcement was made was a decline infrastructure spending, and a decline in a whole range of investment.

“It is only in the last few years where the government has reinvested back into infrastructure and [with] better confidence in the market that we found that things have been changing.”

This rationale has been prosecuted repeatedly by the Berejiklian government in its attempts to explain its aggressive housing boost to an electorate increasingly sceptical of overdevelopment.

Mr Nelson said the Planning Department was on track to add an extra 20,000 dwellings in 2017-18 through state-led rezonings. In July, Premier Gladys Berejiklian assigned the department a target of 10,000 additional dwellings a year to 2021.

About 8400 new homes will be delivered in Bella Vista and Kellyville, in north-west Sydney, after rezonings were finalised in November.

A further 15,000 homes are expected through state-led rezonings expected to be finalised by mid-2018, including Showground (5000 homes), Vineyard (2300), Sydney Olympic Park (4700), and Wilton South East (3000).

In total, the Greater Sydney Commission has estimated Sydney will need an extra 725,000 new homes over the next 20 years to accommodate an extra 2 million people.

According to the latest housing completion data, the majority of new homes are currently being built in western Sydney.

In the year to September 2017, 4877 new homes were built in Parramatta, 2997 in Blacktown, 2749 in Canterbury-Bankstown, 2521 in Camden, and 2386 in the City of Sydney.

In a bid to address bubbling concern over the rapid pace of development, the government has renamed its core planning process for boosting housing from “priority precincts” to “planned precincts”.

Under the priority precinct scheme, the Planning Department identified areas as a priority for more density (often around a train station) and accelerated the rezoning process.

The Labor opposition slammed the process as “cheap and nasty mass rezoning” and has promised to scrap the scheme if elected in March 2019.

Explaining the name change, Mr Nelson said “there was a presumption in the community that priority precincts was all about supply, supply, supply”.

“The focus now around planned precincts is starting to articulate the difference. Planning for schools, planning for open space, planning for homes, planning for active and passive recreation.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on Sydney is a city fatigued by record development